Interview with Haylee Weiss - Emporia High - Class of 2019 - Topeka's Best Senior Portraits



So excited to share Haylee's session. She was such a great subject. First of all, it was a perfect beautiful day and Haylee was such a smiley person. Genuinely a friendly, happy, feisty person. We shared lots of laughs and fun memories.  In a short amount of time I realized how smart, hard working she is and that she is dedicated to what she is passionate about, no matter what it is. It was an honor to photograph her and I love the results. I was also impressed with her interview. Very thoughtful young lady. Enjoy.

T.H. Peterson:
 What is the best thing about going to Emporia high?
Haylee: I love the opportunities Emporia offers it’s students. There’s something for everyone. It makes it super fun and easy to get involved. 

T.H. P.: What are your plans after high school?
Haylee: After high school I want to study kinesiology, and join a pre-chiropractic program. I’m undecided on where I’m going further my education.  


T.H. P.: Favorite class you had last year and why?
Haylee: The most fun class I had last year was anatomy and physiology. It was a dual credit class, so it was difficult, but I love learning about the human body and how it works. I enjoyed the class so much, I enrolled in college biology with the same teacher (Mrs. Huggard). 
T.H. P.:Who is the funniest teacher at Emporia High?
Haylee: I can’t pick one teacher that’s the funniest. I would say either Mr.Leyva or Mr. Bosiljevac. They’re both hilarious and their personalities make class super fun!
T.H. P.: What did you like most about your shoot with us?
Haylee:  I loved taking pictures in my great grandparents’ backyard. I basically grew up in that yard, so it has so much sentimental value. I also enjoyed taking pictures at the gym. Skywalkers is like a second home to me, and I love being in the gym. Both locations hold a great sentimental value. 
T.H. P.: How long have you been a gymnast?
Haylee:  I began doing gymnastics when I was 6 years old, so about 12 years. I started out just learning tumbling basics, then when I was 7 I started learning the trampoline & tumbling events. I’ve competed for about 10 years now. 
T.H. P.: What about your swimming? First of all, I think  it's awesome you guys have a swimming pool at your school! How long have you been competing and what do you love most about it?
Haylee: I’ve been diving since I was a freshman, so for about the last 3 years. I love diving because I can really break it down. It’s less complicated than trampoline. I’m focusing on one skill rather than many skills tied together. It allows me to really focus on a particular dive & try to make it perfect. 
T.H. P.: Favorite thing to do in Emporia?
Haylee: Outside of my activities, my favorite thing to do in town is hang out with my friends. It doesn’t really matter where we go. Sometimes it’s a movie and sometimes it’s just chilling at someone’s house. We have fun either way. 
T.H. P.: Describe yourself in 3 words?
Haylee: I would describe myself as motivated, determined and organized. I know what I want. I set goals, and I make a plan to reach them. I like to know exactly where I’m going and how I’m going to get there.
T.H. P.: So you are a diver, what other kind of events do you compete in on the swim team?
Haylee: I don’t compete in any other events. I actually swim so badly I’m not allowed to. They don’t the doggie paddle on the swim team.
T.H. P.: A few back to back questions here. What is your pet peeve when it comes to gymnastics? What is your favorite part and least favorite?
Haylee: My pet peeve is definitely when I make it to the end of my hardest routine, only to bounce off and hit the pads. In trampoline, each routine is made up of 10 consecutive skills. No skills may be repeated. At my level, the skills are very difficult. So when I get through it and bounce off, it can be really frustrating. 

I have so many favorite parts of gymnastics. My most favorite part is the challenge. Gymnastics can be scary, especially when you’re learning such big skills. However a well trained athlete like myself uses that fear to motivate them. Instead of scaring me into quitting, the fear motivates me in a way incomparable to anything else I’ve ever felt. I love feeling the butterflies in my stomach, my heart race & the adrenaline. Then, when I overcome that fear, I feel amazing.
My least favorite part of gymnastics is seeing people go through burnout. Because gym can be so scary, a lot of people shy away. They stop pushing themselves to be better. As a result, they quit improving and get bored. As someone who’s always had a strong passion for the sport, it’s difficult to watch my teammates go through that. It happens way too often, and there is almost nothing I can do for them. It’s truly heartbreaking to watch someone fall out of love with something I’m so passionate about.




To book your own session, please call Tommy or Holly at 785.793.2492 or 785.213.0812 or email tommy@thpetersonphoto.com

Check out this slideshow of Haylee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Janie and Jovie - Newborn session with Twins! Interview with Mom - Topeka's Newborn Photographers

Popkess family at Ward Meade - Beautiful Spring Mini Session - Topeka's Best Family Photographers

Emily and Jacob's Magical Wedding at Stony Point Hall - Beautiful Kansas celebration - Lawrence, Topeka, KS Wedding Photographers

Larae's newborn session - Interview with mom and dad - Topeka's Best Newborn Photographers

Alexias's maternity session - Beautiful milestone session - Topeka's maternity and newborn photographers

How to Prepare for a Photo Session - Topeka's Best Family Portrait Photographers

Skylar's newborn session - Interview with mom - Topeka's Newborn Photographers

Diego's newborn session - Interview with Mom - Topeka's Newborn Photographers

Declan's Newborn Session - Interview with Mom - Topeka's Best Newborn Photographers