Interview with Josiah Barron - Our intern this past summer! Quick fun shoot KC West Bottoms

 This is Josiah's last week and I wanted to spend a little time with him taking some fun shots down at the West Bottoms in KC. Such a great spot! Josiah has been such a great help this past summer. He was actually referred by another local photographer who didn't have work for him but I gave him a shot and I am so thankful I did. He has not only been a great worker but I've learned a lot about video working with him. He's been a good assistant and has been good with holding lights for us, doing some basic editing in our studio and just an all around nice person to spend time with. He's got a good attitude, he works hard and he's got good goals for his future and even though this is his last week with us, he's going to work on some more projects with us including our new venture wedding videography. He is actually fairly responsible for giving us the confidence to jump out there and make it happen. Good luck to Josiah in all his future endeavors and he definitely has a home here next summer if he wants it!!
T.H. Peterson: Where do you currently go to school and what year are you in? What’s your major?

Josiah: I am currently attending John Brown University in Siloam Springs, AR.  I'm going into my junior year, and am a Cinema and Photography double major.
T.H. P.: What do you like most about your school and major?

Josiah: JBU is a really small school (under 3000 total) so it's really nice to see people you know pretty much anywhere you go.  The community is the most common answer to this question, but for good reason.  Everyone is super nice, and the comradarie within the majors is great.  You really get to know the other people in your field.  Both majors are full of really creative people, and it's nice to bounce ideas off people that have different ways of looking at the same problem.

T.H. P.: So you’ve interned all summer with us. What are some helpful things you’ve learned working with us?
Josiah: I've definitely learned a lot about lighting, both on camera and off, which I'm excited to bring into my classes this year.  Also, all the practical experience working with customers, posing, incorporating video and photo together, it's been a really educational and fun summer.

T.H. P.: 
What’s been your favorite thing to help us with this summer?

Josiah: Weddings, for sure.  Free food and I get to make a video, while being paid? What's not to love about that?  For real though, weddings are just a lot of fun, and definitely my favorite.


T.H. P.: 
What are your plans after school?

Josiah: After school, my plan is to get in touch with a magazine or publication that will let me travel and see the world before I have to settle down and do adult things like pay bills and loans.  Not sure where yet, or what group, but as long as I'm traveling and taking pictures or video I'll be happy.

T.H. P.: Besides photo / video, what are some of your other passions / hobbies?
Josiah: It's somewhat related, but I love exploring abandoned places and towns, or urban exploration, usually with my camera.  Other than that, I'm an avid gamer and I love hiking and camping.

T.H. P.: What sparked your interest in photo / video?

Josiah: In high school, I got a camera capable of doing usable video and made some videos for school events and class projects and discovered I really enjoyed it.  I got my first digital camera when I was probably 7 or 8 and just started shooting, but it wasn't til late high school or college that I started getting good at photography, it was more of a hobby up to then.

T.H. P.: Favorite movie from a cinematic standpoint?

Josiah: Without a doubt, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (the Ben Stiller one).  There are definitely better movies and ones that have more cinematic value, but this one really struck a chord with me, and I love it despite some flaws. I'm not the best critic of movies, because I enjoyed Pacific Rim and The Big Short equally, and the two are on completely different levels of quality.  But Walter Mitty is a movie that every photographer and cinematographer should watch at some point for sure.

T.H. P.: What is your dream camera?

Josiah: Dream camera...that's tough.  For video, I'd love any of the RED series, they make excellent cameras.  For photography, I'm torn, because as much as I'd love a higher end Sony like the A7RII, the Canon 5d MKIII looks crazy awesome.  It all comes down to ease of use though, so I'd probably go with the Sony.

T.H. P.:
How would you describe your photo / cinematic style?
Josiah: My style is still developing, I know that, but there are some pretty common features I notice in my work (when I'm putting special effort into it to make it mine).  I tend toward negative space in my photos, and making the subject just a part of the shot rather than the focus necessarily.  In photography I also try to shoot from angles that aren't usually used, or ones that have obvious reasons not to shoot that way.  If shooting into the sun will give me a crazy lens flare and soften the image a lot, I'll do it.  Anything to make the picture unique.  Cinematically I don't have a personal style as much, it really depends on what I'm shooting, at least for now.

Get more info about our services or about your own session by calling Tommy or Holly at 785.793.2492 or 785.213.0812 or email tommy@thpetersonphoto.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HIlarious Maternity Session - Luke and Stephany's Baby Bump - Topeka's Funniest Photographers

John and April's beautiful day! Incredible Wedding Celebration at Liquid Art Winery - Manhattan, KS

Interview with Chloe Fox - Topeka West Class of 2027 - Topeka's Best Senior Portraits

Interview with Haven Ellenburg - Shawnee Heights High Class of 2027 - Topeka's Best Senior Portraits

Interview with Jonah Tevis - Topeka West Class of 2027 - Topeka's Best Senior Portraits

Interview with Landon DeVader - St Mary's High Class of 2027 - Topeka's Best Senior Portraits

Rhett's Newborn Session - Interview with Mom - Topeka's Best Newborn Photographers

Interview with Isaiah Withers - Seaman High Class of 2027 - Topeka's Best Senior Portraits

How to Prepare for a Photo Session - Topeka's Best Family Portrait Photographers

Interview with Ayden Crosswhite - Washburn Rural Class of 2026 - Topeka's Best Senior Portraits