Who is Tommy Peterson?! 10 Things You May not know about your photographer!
I was thinking about blogging some fun blog posts about all the photographers and assistants that work with us so you can get to know us a little better! So today's blog post will be about me, Tommy Peterson!!!! Here are 10 things you may not know about me. Enjoy!
1. I'm a shy person at heart.
I grew up tremendously shy. I was dysfunctional. I have seen people who are really, REALLY shy and they don't function well. Trust me, I was much worse. I remember once my grandmother coming over for dinner. I stayed in my room hungry because I was only comfortable being around my family and very close friends. As I grew up and got older I realized if I didn't snap out of my shyness I would be miserable the rest of my life!! But deep down inside I still have to suppress my shyness. I'm getting better at it. Most people who meet me now, if I tell them this, they absolutely do not believe me.
2. I love tattoos. This one isn't as much a surprise to people who know me as they can see them on me but I love them. My first tattoo was when I was 19 (I believe?) I now have 14ish. They are starting to turn into one big tattoo lol. I feel tattoos are something very personal and when you get them it helps to cement just how personal those things are to you. I have plans for MANY more but to be honest they are a process and take lots of time. But one day I hope to have 3-4 times as many as I have now... at least.
10. Fighting MMA is on my bucket list.
I've never been an athlete. I'm not genetically gifted. I am 36 and overweight. There doesn't seem like much hope for me. HOWEVER, about six months ago I began working out and training. My goal is to fight a match next summer. It is a BIG goal but I feel like it will help me reach my health and fitness goals. Even if I lose, I will be happy I tried something like this. I am not a super competitive person.. at all, except with myself. I constantly push myself to do better, to try harder. With my line of work, you aren't super active and I have packed on the pounds over the years. I am hoping that over a years time of training and eating good I will get back down to a weight I am proud of.
11. I was born an entrepreneur at heart. Okay I decided to add one more. When I was a teenager, in Jr. High I had a punish work business. I would write people's punishwork out for $1/ page. I made a killing. Probably at least $50-$100 a month. Back then, that was good money!!
So there you go. Hopefully I didn't totally bore you. And if you actually took the time to read this entire blog post, I thank you. Hopefully if you have used us in the past or plan to in the future you'll feel like you know me just a little bit better :)
Have a great day!!!!
1. I'm a shy person at heart.
I grew up tremendously shy. I was dysfunctional. I have seen people who are really, REALLY shy and they don't function well. Trust me, I was much worse. I remember once my grandmother coming over for dinner. I stayed in my room hungry because I was only comfortable being around my family and very close friends. As I grew up and got older I realized if I didn't snap out of my shyness I would be miserable the rest of my life!! But deep down inside I still have to suppress my shyness. I'm getting better at it. Most people who meet me now, if I tell them this, they absolutely do not believe me.
2. I love tattoos. This one isn't as much a surprise to people who know me as they can see them on me but I love them. My first tattoo was when I was 19 (I believe?) I now have 14ish. They are starting to turn into one big tattoo lol. I feel tattoos are something very personal and when you get them it helps to cement just how personal those things are to you. I have plans for MANY more but to be honest they are a process and take lots of time. But one day I hope to have 3-4 times as many as I have now... at least.
3. My son is the love of my life and if I could have 20 more kids I would.
I love my son with all of my heart. I tell him every day just how much he means to me. I love kids. I always have. Even when I was a teenager, I would rather play with little kids than kids my own age. My wife Holly isn't sure she wants more and I respect her decision, but i want more kids. I'd take even one more! But if she were fine with it, we'd have a house full of them!
4. I'm VERY serious about my faith and religion.
I have always been in church and been around Christians but when I moved to Kansas I found a church family I absolutely fell in love with. They are like family. They take their beliefs seriously, not only in thought and word but in deed and action. They are real. They have been an encouragement to my walk with God and have held me accountable. I thank God for them and think often about where I'd be with out them. Scary thought. They are definitely God's gift to me. And while I do take my job and calling as a Christian serious and do not waver I don't seek to condemn people or point out their faults. I don't feel that anyone will want to hear my judgement against them if they don't know who I am as a person first. I also don't feel the need to tell people my beliefs unless I'm asked or prompted. My goal in life is to honor and fear God, to be good to all people and to respect myself.
5. I got into photography to tell jokes.
When I first started in photography it was with Olan Mills shooting directories at churches. I didn't have this great passion for photography. I was just a goofball who liked to crack jokes and make people laugh and with this job I had to get in front of people and make them smile... kind of like a stand up comedian. So this was right up my alley. I've literally photographed over 100,000 families / sessions and have probably told some of my jokes and stories so many times that I'm even sick of hearing them. Now however, I do have a passion for what I do but I still love making people laugh and giggle. If I couldn't do that in this job, there's a good chance I would have never started taking photos!!!
6. Me speaky Spanish!
A lot of people don't know this about me but my first language as Spanish. And though you probably can't tell from looking at me, I'm half Mexican. I was four before I started speaking English. Unfortunately, while I can understand Spanish perfectly, I have a hard time conversing in it. Boo! Frowny face!!!
7. My biggest pet peeve is people who have too many pet peeves.
Not much bothers me except for people who are way too particular. I can get along with anyone but if someone is bothered by everything, I probably won't be your biggest fan.
8. I am not picky about food.
I'll eat anything. I randomly close my eyes and point to something on the menu and order that. Yeah I'm serious. I once asked the waitress to surprise me. Bad choice. She brought me out the most expensive steak on the menu. But seriously, I don't think there's a food out there I won't try once.... or twice...
9. I spent a year in Bosnia.
Well almost a year. I was deployed there when I was in the Army and actually I loved it! My thoughts and memories of that place are pleasant and full of great memories. I got really close to the guys in my platoon and since I wasn't married at the time, it was really a good time and really glad I got to go. It was a peace keeping mission so there wasn't any real fighting or combat. Though Bosnia was filled with landmines and every day while I was on guard duty, I would hear explosions in the distance. I was told those were mostly animals walking over them. I remember seeing a one legged dog pass our camp every day. I also remember seeing a disabled blind man with a seeing eye pig. Bosnia is one of the most beautiful places in the world in my opinion. It was full of destruction and bombed out houses but the landscape was amazing and beautiful. It reminded me of a mix between a jungle and the mountains of Colorado.10. Fighting MMA is on my bucket list.
I've never been an athlete. I'm not genetically gifted. I am 36 and overweight. There doesn't seem like much hope for me. HOWEVER, about six months ago I began working out and training. My goal is to fight a match next summer. It is a BIG goal but I feel like it will help me reach my health and fitness goals. Even if I lose, I will be happy I tried something like this. I am not a super competitive person.. at all, except with myself. I constantly push myself to do better, to try harder. With my line of work, you aren't super active and I have packed on the pounds over the years. I am hoping that over a years time of training and eating good I will get back down to a weight I am proud of.
![]() |
| After an awesome class at Title Boxing. We absolutely love it there!!! |
So there you go. Hopefully I didn't totally bore you. And if you actually took the time to read this entire blog post, I thank you. Hopefully if you have used us in the past or plan to in the future you'll feel like you know me just a little bit better :)
Have a great day!!!!






Loved reading this! I'm glad you came out of your shell because you have a great personality! You have such a beautiful family as well!
ReplyDeleteYou've made a new fan - with the galleries but with this post as well. I would warn that 20 kids can sometimes be a little much - but a big fan of #2, 4, 9 :)
ReplyDelete